Wednesday, February 29, 2012

When Deacons Become Elders


Dear Family & Friends,

So tomorrow will be transfers and Elder Jarvis and I will be driving up to Cleveland.  Travel details will be coming tonight, we may carpool with the Zone Leaders but don't know yet.  So how transfers work is all Elders or Sisters getting transferred meet at the Kirtland Stake Center and we are all sitting in the chapel with the Zone Leaders and Assistants and President and Sister Sorensen on the stand.  All the new Elders and trainers sit in the first two rows (the new trainers have a previous meeting to find out who their trainer/trainee will be), we will have a short meeting, all the departing missionaries bear their testimony and then the Zone Leaders announce who will be working with who in each new area, and then you go leave to your areas and get to work.  I am excited to train again and to continue to learn and grow throughout this next part of my mission. 


That's funny that you found that picture of all us current missionaries as Deacons.  We all look so little! (The attached picture is when Corey Wardell, Brother Brandon Greenwood, Zach Nielsen, Jason Brown, and Chris Weaver were all serving together in the Deacon’s Quorum Presidency in Aug. 2005.)

This last week we had a great Branch Conference.  All the messages and speakers were amazing.  The Spirit was very strong and I think that it really made an effect on many people.  The Spirit in this area is increasing as people are strengthening their testimonies and conversion.  As the focus on the Atonement, Book of Mormon, and testimony/conversion has been emphasized in the mission I have felt a major change in the members here and I.  Powerful things have been taking place here and I am excited to see the changes and growth with this area over the next three months. 

Well sorry my letter is brief today...but I had an opportunity to write a short testimony and message to the Sorensen’s (Mission President and wife) for their birthday last week.  All the missionaries wrote their testimonies and sent them to the Assistants who compiled them into a book.  The following is the testimony I sent in by email.  

“This Gospel is and forever will be true.  We have a Father in Heaven who loves us and knows us each specifically and personally.  Our Savior Jesus Christ lives and has atoned for each of us, making our path home possible and clear.  The Gift of the Holy Ghost that God has given to us is of infinite worth and a key to our personal salvation.  This gift is clear evidence to me of Gods love for each and every one of us.  I feel and see Him in my life and the lives around me.  Joseph Smith has restored this Gospel and was and is called as a Prophet and servant of God, sealing his testimony of this great and marvelous work with his life.  Through the Book of Mormon and my personal relationship with God I stand and bear my personal testimony that all these things are true.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ is restored and is blessing the lives of all the inhabitants of both Heaven and Earth.  The work that we have entered into covenant with God to take to all people is true and will roll forth to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people.  It is the message of peace, hope, and happiness.  Our families can and will be together forever in our Heavenly Fathers presence as we live worthily of the blessings and promises of God.  The Prophet Thomas S. Monson and all of the Apostles of our day today have been called of God to uphold and bring about His marvelous work.  They lead and guide each of us in righteousness, helping us to safely come home.  I know that I am exactly where I need to be at this time in my life, in the service of my Father in Heaven.  Of this I testify in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.”

I hope you each have a wonderful week! 

Love,

Elder Weaver 

No comments:

Post a Comment